This weekend, enjoy this bowl of warm, slightly sweet and comforting deliciousness!
Pumpkin, Chickpea, and Red Lentil Stew
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 25 mins Cook 8 hrs to 10 hours (low) or 4-5 hours (high)
- 1 pound pie pumpkin or winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
1. In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, combine pumpkin, chickpeas, carrots, onion, lentils, tomato paste, ginger, lime juice, cumin, salt, turmeric, and pepper. Pour broth over all in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Top each serving with peanuts, cilantro, and if desired, yogurt. Makes 6 (1-1/3 cup) servings.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens