Most college-bound freshman will be headed to school this month.
The concept of a dorm room is exciting for any student getting away from home for the first time. But a dorm is only useful if it's done right.
Yahoo! Shopping recently released its list of 10 items every student should have in their dorm for a successful year.
1. Alarm Clock: You don't want to sleep through a final (trust me). The first thing any student should pick up for their dorm room is an alarm clock. It doesn't have to be high tech, it just has to work. Pick one up locally at or your closest Office Max or Best Buy.
2. Comfortable Bedding: Every second of sleep is important college -- especially freshman year when you have classes before 9 a.m. (don't worry, that usually stops by junior year). Pick it up at or .
3. Bed Risers: Space is key in a dorm room. Bed risers provide a good amount of space for storage underneath that bed of yours. These should also be available at a local furniture store, such as Sleepy's.
4. Multi-Tasking Furniture: See above reasoning. Yahoo! Shopping recommends a storage ottoman.
5. Laundry Bag: You're going to have to lug your laundry back and forth from the laundry room to your dorm room (or if you choose not to do your laundry, from your dorm room to your parents' house over break). You can purchase bags at your local laundromat, such as or .
6. Mini Fridge: For storing water, soda and food only. Pick one up locally at .
7. Shower Tote: You don't want to be leaving your personal shower gear in the communal bathroom. You also don't want to let you soap touch anything in the bathroom. Remember, it's a college bathroom. You can find bath accessories at or Bed Bath and Beyond.
8. Closet Organizer: This might be more for the female population as most of the men I knew just threw their clothes around their rooms, but it is a good investment. Yahoo! Shopping recommends an adjustable double organizer.
9. Desk Lamp: You will be doing work into the wee hours of the morning. If you're not a library person, then a lamp in your room is certainly necessary. These can be found at Staples or P.C. Richard and Son.
10. Wall Décor: Put a little bit of yourself up on the walls of your dorm room -- posters, photos of you and your friends, etc.