The Department of Health will be giving the area a good dousing of larvicide to combat the spread of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes.
The DOH warned on their Web site that Alley Pond Park, Linden Hill/College Point, Edgemerea and Somerville were sprayed on Monday, and continued to be sprayed by helicopter on Tuesday and Wednesday between the hours of 6a.m. and 7p.m.
The DOH said the larvicide poses no health threat to humans. Nevertheless, residents are urged to take the following precautions:
- Keep indoors during spraying. Especially if you have asthma or other respiratory conditions.
- If you want to keep your air conditioner on, set the vent to its closed position, or select its re-circulate function.
- Remove outdoor doors and furniture, or wipe them down with soapy water before use after spraying.
- Wash your skin and clothing if its exposed to pesticides with soap.
- Always wash produce with water before ingesting or cooking.