With , Douglaston residents have number of new options for exotic Thanksgiving dishes to serve up.
Check out today's pick for the tastiest and healthiest Thanksgiving recipe alternatives to help you save on the extra holiday pounds without cutting back on flavor!
Warm Lentil and Roasted Pepper Salad
Health experts say everyone should routinely include vegetarian meals in their diets to help reduce saturated fat and cholesterol. This hearty, Mediterranean-style dish is a satisfying and delicious way to do just that.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup diced, drained, and rinsed canned roasted sweet red pepper
- 1 medium stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced and seeded plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 hour, 20 minutes
- Bring water, lentils, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to boil in 3-quart saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until lentils are firm but fully cooked, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix parsley, sweet pepper, celery, onion, tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice, oil, black pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in large serving bowl.
- Drain lentils, add to serving bowl, and toss. Serve warm.
Recipe Provided by Reader's Digest