Good morning, Bayside. We hope you've got the spirit to flip yourselves some pancakes, because today is Shrove Tuesday, known stateside as Fat Tuesday, the kickoff to Mardi Gras.
1. Check back in today to Bayside Patch to find out more about the observance of Fat Tuesday in Britain, New Orleans and right in Bayside.
2. Tonight, starting at 7 p.m., is celebrating with traditional New Orleans style food, and live music by Mike Lewis and the Legacy Jazz Band.
3. Baloney may not be kosher, but some bologna is. Check back in with Bayside Patch today to find out why in God's name that's one of your five things. (Hint, it may have something to do with this exclamation, by Bayside Hills resident David Goldstein; "You can’t come up here and feed us baloney, and say it’s totally kosher and totally clean, but we need two variances. Baloney is not kosher.")
Check back in with Bayside Patch today for the context.
4. In the meantime, you could check out Little Neck Patch's from last night's Community Board 11 meeting.
5. Mayor Mike Bloomberg was in Douglaston yesterday to announce a notification program via email or phone of steep increases in water use.