Anyone who is into horse racing will be familiar with this, the traditional drink of the Kentucky Derby, which is airing tomorrow, Saturday, May 5th at 6:24pm.
During this time, some 80,000 juleps are served. Traditionally Mint Juleps are served in silver or pewter cups and held by the handle or rim in order for the cup to obtain optimum frost. As an alternative to muddling the mint and sugar cube you can also infuse a sugar syrup with mint.
With this much Bourbon in a drink, slow sipping is the appropriate way to imbibe. will be offering $4.00 Mint Juleps during the race on Saturday!
Bourbon Street's Mint Julep
- ·leaves from 4-5 mint sprigs
- ·2 sugar cubes or 1/2 oz simple syrup
- ·2 1/2 oz bourbon
- ·mint sprig for garnish
- Place the mint and simple syrup or sugar into a Julep cup, Collins Glass, Double Old-Fashioned Glass or Pint Glass.
- Muddle well to dissolve the sugar and to release the oil and aroma of the mint.
- Add the Bourbon
- Fill with crushed ice and stir well until the glass becomes frosty.
- Garnish with the mint sprig.